Monday, March 30, 2015

Son of ''23 Revue"

As I've noted elsewhere, I've finished my revue of popular American music from 1905 to 1923.  I emailed a friend today to see if she'd like to read through and listen to it.

Dear Ms. A:

Since you have been connected with countless hit musicals (among them "Angels in America: The All Day All Night Musical," "The Cripple of Innishman: The Musical [choreographed, if I recall correctly, by St. Vitus himself], "Doubt: The Gregorian Musical," "Lips Together, Teeth Apart Cha Cha Cha," "Anne Frank: A Musical Tragedy," "The Perfect Ganesh: A Tuskan Musical," "Who's Afraid of Stephen Sondheim?" and the adaptation of Albee's two one-acts, "The Box of Sand and Me" and "The Roaring Zoo Story," to name a few), I was wondering if you would mind reading through my first endeavor at revue writing.  "'23 Revue" is a celebration (or at least a presentation) of music from 1905 to 1923, currently the last year for music being in the public domain so I don't have to pay anything, a necessary consideration.

Obviously, "'23 Revue" is a play on the witty catchphrase "23 Skidoo," which, according to Wikipedia, the world's most infallible information source, was an "American slang phrase popularized during the early 20th century. It generally refers to leaving quickly, being forced to leave quickly by someone else, or taking advantage of a propitious opportunity to leave, that is, 'getting [out] while the getting's good.' The exact origin of the phrase is uncertain."  The title of the revue may also refer to the hasty retreat from the Levittown, NJ Bijou, where the revue was first staged, as well as The Orange Bagel, a cabaret/coffeehouse in Soggy Bottom, MD where our second performance fared no better.  I'm not sure what either audience found distasteful, as we had to leave before we could collect the comments cards.

With this ominous puzzle hanging heavily overhead, I was wondering if I could burden you with reading/listening to it and offering your comments.  I've made two CDs, one for each act.  The sound card my music program records on sounds like various flying insects, but they are true to beat, melody, and pitch.  Because you probably wouldn't recognize much of the music (or guess what it was from the various buzzings), I have a lyric book.  If you'd rather, I have the full orchestration.  The two CDs work with that, too, only the lyrics are smaller.  The revue itself lasts approximately two hours and twenty minutes, if one honors the suggested 15 minute interval.  I say approximately because we were unable to successfully finish either the Bijou or Orange Bagel performance.

If you care to waste an evening, I can drop off the CDs and lyric book or full score at [a certain theater] Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays around 4.  If you prefer, and if you don't mind being in a homosexualist environment, you could pick up the materials Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays at the LGBT Center, opposite a really nice, well tended vacant lot.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

David Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment